The end of the year is always a good time to look back at the great work done in the world of news graphics – and this year in particular, to relive all the heartbreak and disillusionment. Here is a list of year-end news graphics round-ups for your enjoyment and edification.
- The New York Times, 2016: The Year in Visual Stories and Graphics
- The Washington Post, 16 in ’16: The year in must-see visualizations from The Post
- Bloomberg, A Tumultuous Year Explained in 129 Graphics
- The Wall Street Journal, The Best WSJ Graphics and Visual Stories From 2016 and separately, The Year in Markets: 2016 in Nine Charts (both behind paywall)
- FiveThirtyEight, The Best And Worst Data Stories Of 2016 (not just graphics, more commentary – unusual and worth it)
- Maarten Lambrecht has compiled his Charts of 2016, which include some that aren’t on the above lists
- Andy Kirk’s summaries are always worthwhile as well, here are his Significant Visualization Developments for 2016, Part 1 and Part 2. He has also compiled all of his significant developments postings back to 2011 in one convenient list.
- Lisa Charlotte Rost has compiled a personal list of what she wrote about. If you’re not following her writing yet, this is a good starting point.